Central Library of the Academy of Sciences was envisaged as a unit in the structure of the Academy of Sciences approved by the ESSR Council of Ministers’ Regulation No 255 of 5th April.
Library was given four rooms on Sakala Street 35; 1800 books were initially purchased; Library was to receive two obligatory copies of all Estonian publications. Initially the only option for using the books was to check them out.
A reading room was opened. Library started receiving the USSR-wide obligatory copies. Interlibrary loan connections were established, initially across the USSR, a year later also abroad.
Former Library of Estonian Literary Association (Bibliothek der Estländischen Literärischen Gesellschaft) was merged into the Library. Among other things, the former also included the rare books from the library established at the Oleviste Church in Tallinn in 1552, and the collection of Estonian General Public Library (Estländische Allgemeine Öffentliche Bibliothek) that are particularly valuable for all the Baltica literature. These collections later became the basis for establishing the Baltica and Rare Books Department.
Library acquired more spacious rooms on Estonia Avenue 7.
Moving into the building constructed for the Library on Lenin (now Rävala) Avenue 10.
Launching the compilation of a retrospective database of Estonian national bibliography (1525-1940).
First volumes of the retrospective database of national bibliography were published
Library became a member of IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations) and the cooperative association of Baltic Sea libraries Bibliotheca Baltica, and an associated member of the Consortium of European Research Libraries (CERL).
Following the reorganisation of Estonian Academy of Sciences the Library ceased to be a division of the Academy. Library was placed into the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture and Education, and into the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture after the split of the previous ministry.
Library became a founding member of Estonian Library Network Consortium (ELNET Consortium).
Transition to the integrated library system INNOPAC. Electronic catalogue was introduced for storing bibliographic entries of books and documents instead if card catalogue. Library cards with bar codes were introduced in library service.
Library was transferred from the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture into the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education from 1st January with the Order of the Government of the Republic.
On 15th May Minister of Education, Deputy Mayor of the City of Tallinn, Director of Estonian Academic Library and heads of several institutions of higher education signed the “Agreement of Joint Activity”, which set the goal of establishing Tallinn University and supported the idea of transforming Estonian Academic Library into the Academic Library of Tallinn University that operates as an institution of Tallinn University.
Pursuant to the Order No 228-k of the Government of the Republic from 2nd April 2003 Minister of Education and Research Mailis Rand and Rector of Tallinn Pedagogical University Mati Heidmets signed the treaty on 8th April for consolidating Estonian Academic Library and Tallinn Pedagogical University. The Library received a new name of the Academic Library of Tallinn Pedagogical University. New statutes of the Library were approved by the Board of Tallinn Pedagogical University on 12th May.
Establishment of Tallinn University also changed the name of the Library and it is now the Academic Library of Tallinn University.